null
🌺 Free Shipping Over $49 Today 🌺

Are Butterfly Bushes Poisonous

Author Teresa Odle 7-6-2020

Although butterfly bushes (Buddleja davidii) are not edible, they are no more toxic than any garden plant. They should be safe to plant where children, dogs, cats, and other animals live. In fact, butterfly bushes are deer resistant. They attract and feed nectar to hummingbirds and butterflies. "Warnings" about growing the pretty shrub tend to come from the ability of some of the original hybrids to become invasive, but only in certain climates, and only some types.

Are Butterfly Bushes Poisonous to Children

Butterfly bushes are not considered poisonous. Still, it is not advisable to allow children to ingest a shrub's leaves or flowers.

dog-next-to-butterfly-bush.jpg

Are Butterfly Bushes Poisonous to Dogs

Butterfly bushes are not attractive to dogs, nor are they poisonous to them. 

Are Butterfly Bushes Poisonous to Cats

Butterfly bushes are not poisonous to cats.

Are Butterfly Bushes Poisonous to Other Animals

There is no evidence that butterfly bushes are poisonous to horses, cows, or other livestock. They also are deer resistant, so deer avoid the plants.

  • Butterfly bushes should not poison children, but also are not edible.
  • Butterfly bushes are not considered poisonous to domestic pets.
  • Deer avoid eating butterfly bushes.
  • The shrub should not harm livestock.

There is no evidence that butterfly bushes are poisonous to horses, cows, or other livestock. They also are deer resistant, so deer avoid the plants.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from (insert plant) poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.