- Zones 4 - 7
- Height 3 - 5 Feet
- Spread 3 - 4 Feet
- Full Sun to Partial Shade
The Fire Chief Arborvitae, Thuja occidentalis 'Congabe' , is a terrific evergreen shrub that stays a manageable size for any yard. Great for privacy hedges or year round color. The grow in a globe shape and does not require pruning to stay that shape. The Fire Chief has bright golden spring foliage and terrific deep red color in the fall. These shrubs are also great for mass planting for amazing color all year. These shrubs do best in full sun, but can also tolerate partial shade.
Fire Chief Arborvitae Care
These shrubs are very low maintenance and do not require pruning. The Fire Chief Arborvitae is a slow grower. It does need watered once a week for the first year or two, especially during the hot summer months. Once established, the plant will do fine during normal dry periods. These arborvitae shrubs are both disease and deer resistant.
Fire Chief Arborvitae Spacing
If you plan to create a hedge with the Fire Chief, then plant these 4 feet apart from center. Otherwise, you should plant these 6 feet apart from center, or 2 feet apart from the widest part of the plant.
Fire Chief Arborvitae Plant Facts
|USDA Hardiness Zones: 5-8|
|Flower Color(s): n/a|
|Bloom Period: Grown for Foliage|
|Foliage Color(s): Bright Golden to Orange/Red|
|Light Exposure: Full Sun to Part Shade|
|Height: 2-4 Feet|
|Spread: 2-4 Feet|
|Habit: Rounded Compact|
|Features: Interest Year-Round|
|Scientific Name: Thuja occidentalis 'Congabe' PP19009|
|Common Name: Fire Chief™ Arborvitae|
|Brand: Southern Living Plants|
Click here for more information and pictures of containers.
Standard Colors: 7-10 business days
Speical Order Colors: 8 weeks - this is due to the planter being custom made with the color(s) of your choice
Please Note: On speical orders there can not be any cancellations
Time of Order:
Winter to Early Spring
- Is it warm enough to plant in the customer’s growing zone?
- What areas does the plant has to travel through from our nursery to your home?
- Is the plant at the nursery ready to ship.
- The plants from the South will naturally be ready sooner than the plants from the North (If you have questions or concerns about when a plant will ship please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If there is extreme heat we’ll delay shipping.
- We’ll have to review what areas the plants are traveling through along with your location
Fall into Winter
- We’ll ship all the way up to the end of the fall planting season!
- Get your order in now to reserve you plants for Spring planting!
Once your plant is shipped you’ll receive an email with tracking information. Depending on the above criteria we’ll ship your plant(s) towards the beginning of the following week from your order date. We put together this helpful guide for what to do when you receive your plants in the mail.
It is important to know that all of our plants are clearly labeled for which growing zones the plant can survive in. The plants are thoroughly trialed and tested in every growing zone before we state the plant can grow in a zone. Again, our #1 priority is to ship the plants to you healthy and ready to thrive in your location. So we will do everything in our power to do so.