Are False Indigo Poisonous?

All parts of False Indigo are poisonous, some parts more so at different times of the year. It is mildly toxic to both humans and animals, causing symptoms ranging from nausea, to blurred vision, vomiting and vertigo. It is not lethal to humans or pets. At most, it can cause mild discomfort. Due to its bitter taste, it is likely that small pets would steer clear of this perennial. It is best to keep small animals, pets, children, livestock, and other animals away from this perennial. No parts of this plant are edible!

baptisia-lemon-meringue.jpg

Is False Indigo Poisonous to Children?

Although all parts of False Indigo are poisonous, no fatalities have ever been attributed to the plant. Small children are vulnerable because of their size and curiosity. The only way to experience the plant's toxicity is through ingestion which can cause mild discomfort such as stomach upset, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal spasms.

Is False Indigo Poisonous to Dogs?

Consumption of any plant material may cause vomiting and gastrointestinal upset for dogs, and False Indigo is no exception. It is advised that dogs be kept away from this plant and not allowed to chew on or ingest any part of the plant. Cytisine, an alkaloid with a bitter and unpleasant taste, is the toxic component found in False Indigo. Dogs and puppies are not typically drawn to eating or chewing on the plant. If ingested, the symptoms are mild and not fatal, often only resulting in digestive problems, pain and discomfort.

Is False Indigo Poisonous to Cats?

Consumption of False Indigo may cause vomiting and gastrointestinal upset for cats. It is advised that cats be kept away from this plant and not allowed to chew on or ingest any part of the plant. Cytisine, an alkaloid with a bitter and unpleasant taste, is the toxic component found in False Indigo. Dogs and puppies are not typically drawn to eating or chewing on the plant. If ingested, the symptoms are mild and not fatal, often only resulting in digestive problems, pain and discomfort.

Is False Indigo Poisonous to Other Animals?

Most livestock will avoid coming into contact with or eating False Indigo, preferring to steer clear of this mildly toxic prairie wildflower.

cutting-of-baptisia-blue-bubbly.jpg

Symptoms Of False Indigo Poisoning

Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect baptisia poisoning.

Here are some common symptoms to look out for:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Digestive problems
  • Blurred vision and vertigo

Preventing False Indigo Poisoning

With a little bit of forethought, this mildly toxic perennial can be grown around all your favorite creatures including children. Planted amongst a barrier of roses, small evergreens, thorny shrubs, or ornamental grasses would prevent any animal or child from getting close enough to come in contact with the plant. Similarly, a small barrier such as a fence, garden ornamentation, or water feature may help to avoid any chances of contact.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from False Indigo poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

Chris Link Profile Pic

Author Chris Link - Published 08-10-2022