Arrowhead Plant is a leafy houseplant that is easy to maintain but mildly toxic to pets and children. This plant contains calcium oxalate, which is toxic. Eating or chewing on the Arrowhead Plant’s leaves or stems can cause a reaction. Consuming the plant is not typically fatal, although eating large quantities of Arrowhead Plant can cause serious reactions, especially for a small pet or young child.
Is Arrowhead Plant Poisonous to Children?
Arrowhead Plant is poisonous to children. Touching the plant is not harmful, but ingesting the leaves or stems of the Arrowhead Plant is not safe. Consuming the plant can cause swelling and a burning sensation in the lips, mouth, tongue, and throat. Swelling can make breathing difficult, so seek medical help immediately if breathing is compromised. Eating any part of the Arrowhead Plant can also cause gastrointestinal distress.
Is Arrowhead Plant Poisonous to Dogs?
Arrowhead Plants are poisonous to dogs and can be especially harmful to puppies due to their size. The foliage and stems contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which, when eaten, cause mouth swelling and gastrointestinal trouble. Touching the plant is not harmful and does not cause problems; only consuming the plant results in an adverse reaction.
Is Arrowhead Plant Poisonous to Cats?
Keep Arrowhead Plants away from curious cats. Eating any part of the Arrowhead Plant is harmful to cats because the vegetation contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals. This compound may cause gastrointestinal distress along with oral swelling, which can make breathing labored or difficult.
Is Arrowhead Plant Poisonous to Other Animals?
Arrowhead Plant is poisonous to other animals, including common pets, because it contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals. Eating the leaves or stems of the Arrowhead Plant can cause swelling of the mouth and throat, which may lead to difficulty breathing and gastrointestinal problems.
Symptoms Of Arrowhead Plant Poisoning
Arrowhead Plant poisoning is dangerous, and while it is not often fatal, it can cause extreme discomfort and trouble breathing, requiring medical attention. Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect Arrowhead Plant poisoning.
Here are some common symptoms to look out for:
- Swelling of lips, mouth, tongue, and throat
- Breathing difficulties
- Diarrhea and gastrointestinal discomfort
Preventing Arrowhead Plant Poisoning
Reduce contact with the Arrowhead Plant to reduce the risk of pets or young children eating the foliage. Place the plant in a hanging basket or on a high shelf where it is not easily accessible, although this method may not keep cats away from the plant. Consider other leafy, vining plants that are pet safe if you are unable to keep pets away from an Arrowhead Plant.
Pet Poison Helpline
If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from Arrowhead Plant poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.
This page contains affiliate links to products on Amazon. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Author Alison Cotsonas - Published 06-20-2023