Are Speedwell Poisonous

The scientific name for ornamental Speedwell is Veronica spicata. The Veronica genus of plants includes over 500 varieties, with the majority of those being edible or at the very least non-toxic to humans. According to the ASPCA, this plant is also considered to be non-toxic for cats, dogs and livestock. Mild stomach upset can occur for any pet that ingests large amounts of any plant, including Speedwell.  


Are Speedwell Poisonous to Children?

Speedwell, the ornamental Veronica spicata, is considered non-toxic to all humans no matter their size. Playing around Speedwell and brushing against the foliage or flowers may only cause contact dermatitis for the most sensitive skin. Children should not be encouraged to use any plant as make-believe food and should not be allowed to eat any plants in the garden unless an adult gives the OK. 


Are Speedwell Poisonous to Dogs?

The ASPCA list of toxic plants for dogs does not list Veronica spicata. In fact, no Veronica variety is listed as being toxic to dogs. As with any other plant, ingesting too much Speedwell may result in an upset stomach. If you do see signs of toxic poisoning in your dog, contact your veterinarian as quickly as possible to determine the best course of treatment. 

Are Speedwell Poisonous to Cats?

Speedwell is not listed as a toxic plant for cats or kittens. They do not tend to eat plants that have tough stems like Speedwell. If your cat is displaying signs of plant toxicity, try to determine what plants your cat may have visited. Call your veterinarian as quickly as possible so that a plan of treatment can be started.

Are Speedwell Poisonous to Other Animals?

The ornamental Speedwell is not toxic to other animals and livestock. Eating large amounts of the plant may cause stomach upset and vomiting. Contact your veterinarian as quickly as possible if you suspect your animal has eaten large amounts of Speedwell.

Symptoms Of Speedwell Poisoning

Although Speedwell is not considered a toxic plant for humans or animals, the following are common signs of plant poisoning. Contact your doctor or veterinarian as quickly as possible if you notice any of these symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Stiffness in joints and extremities
  • Seizures
  • Coma

Preventing Speedwell Poisoning

There is no reason to exclude children, pets, or livestock from areas containing Speedwell. Fencing off play areas or grazing fields will help to keep animals from eating Speedwell. Growing Speedwell in parts of the garden that are not visited by children or pets is also a good way to keep it protected. 

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from Speedwell poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

This page contains affiliate links to products on Amazon. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Robbin Small Profile Pic

Author Robbin Small - Published 7-22-2022