null
Spring Pre-Order Giveaway - Learn More
Free Shipping On All Orders Over $75 Shipping Truck Icon

Are Hibiscus Poisonous?

Hibiscus is a flowering perennial shrub that features large tropical-looking flowers. This plant is grown for its gorgeous summertime blooms, but it is understandable to be concerned about safety when bringing plants into your outdoor space or home. Hibiscus is not poisonous to humans, and it is typically safe for dogs; however, the plant does pose a risk to cats. 

women-with-hibiscus-flower.jpg

Are Hibiscus Poisonous to Children

No part of the Hibiscus plant, the leaves or the flowers, are poisonous to humans, so it is safe to have the plant around children, toddlers, and babies.

Are Hibiscus Poisonous to Dogs

Most varieties of Hibiscus are not toxic or poisonous to dogs; although, one type, the Rose of Sharon, is toxic to dogs. If your furry friend were to eat large quantities of leaves or flowers from a Rose of Sharon, they might experience an upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, and possibly diarrhea.

Are Hibiscus Poisonous to Cats

Hibiscus are poisonous to cats. The blossoms and stems are toxic, and if consumed, a cat may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. The symptoms usually subside after 48 hours, but if your feline friend is still sick after 48 hours, or if your cat stops drinking water at any point, then you should consult a vet.

Are Hibiscus Poisonous to Other Animals

Some varieties of Hibiscus are poisonous to animals. If you are unsure about a plant's toxicity, limiting your pets' or animals' exposure is generally best. It is a good idea to monitor your pet for signs of illness or dehydration if you suspect your animal has eaten part of a Hibiscus. 

Symptoms of Hibiscus Poisoning

Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect (insert plant) poisoning. Here are some common symptoms to look out for:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite

Preventing Hibiscus Poisoning

Physical barriers are often the most effective solution to keeping animals away from Hibiscus plants. Another option is to plant Hibiscus plants in areas of your yard that your pets cannot access, allowing you to enjoy the beauty of the blossoms while keeping your furry friends safe.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from Hibiscus poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

Are Hibiscus Edible

Hibiscus flowers can be eaten raw, but are typically consumed by making a tea. Here is a recipe for hibiscus and dandelion tea!

hibiscus-tea.jpg

This page contains affiliate links to products on Amazon. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.