Asters are not poisonous to humans, dogs, cats or livestock. In fact, the flowers are edible. Asters are safe to plant in the garden where children, dogs, cats or livestock might come in contact with them. All parts of the plant are edible, with the flowers typically being used for decoration only as they can have an unpleasant texture to humans. As with any type of consumption, any item like asters that is overly consumed may cause stomach discomfort but not any type of poisoning. Children may be drawn to the brightly colored flowers but they are harmless if consumed.
Are Asters Poisonous to Children?
Asters are not poisonous to kids, children, toddlers or babies, although an over-consumption of the plant may cause stomach upset but nothing requiring medical attention. The plant's foliage is abrasive and can cause minor skin irritations in some people. There are cellulose hairs on the plant’s stems that some people may find unpleasant to touch or ingest but they're not toxic. The texture of the stems, leaves, and flowers is rough, making them unpleasant to ingest but not toxic, and the flowers are edible.
Are Asters Poisonous to Dogs?
Asters may cause minor stomach irritation if ingested by puppies or dogs but they are not toxic. If ingested by the dog or puppy, they would not require veterinary attention. Most dogs or puppies would find the texture of the plant disagreeable and therefore steer clear of this perennial. If ingested by puppies or dogs, it may cause vomiting or diarrhea.
Are Asters Poisonous to Cats?
Asters are not toxic to cats but the selenium in asters may cause stomach upset and diarrhea but not in a life-threatening way. Cats or kittens are not typically drawn to aster plants, preferring to stay clear of the unpleasant texture of the stems and leaves. If a cat or kitten should ingest any part of the plant, it is not toxic in a threatening way.
Are Asters Poisonous to Other Animals?
Asters are non-toxic to livestock although the high concentration of selenium in the plants may cause stomach discomfort for some livestock such as horses if ingested in large enough quantities. Even so, the ingestion of the plant would not be life threatening to the animal. Deer may predate the flowers if their normal source of forage is scarce.
Symptoms Of Aster Poisoning
Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect aster poisoning.
Here are some common symptoms to look out for:
- Stomach discomfort
- Abdominal pain
Preventing Aster Poisoning
Surrounding the asters with a fence, chicken wire, hardware cloth, or plants with thorns or unpleasant textures may all be ways to keep the asters at a safe distance from cats, dogs, livestock, or curious children. Although they are not toxic, asters may be bright and colorful enough to catch the eye of pets or small children. Planting them out of reach or in an inaccessible area is a sure way to guarantee that they will not be unwittingly ingested.
Pet Poison Helpline
If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from aster poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.
This page contains affiliate links to products on Amazon. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.