null
Spring Pre-Order Giveaway - Learn More
Free Shipping On All Orders Over $75 Shipping Truck Icon

Are Crape Myrtle Poisonous?

Crape Myrtle is a popular landscape plant known to thrive in hot and humid conditions. This adaptable flowering shrub is a perennial in zones 7 through 9, and once established, it is drought-tolerant.

If Crape Myrtle didn’t already have enough going for it, this plant is also completely safe and not poisonous. You can rest easy including Crape Myrtle in your landscape or a container on your patio or balcony if you have young children or pets. All parts of Crape Myrtle plants are safe, including the foliage, bark, flowers, berries, and seed pods.

Are Crape Myrtle Poisonous to Children?

The Crape Myrtle is not only a beautiful plant to have in your landscape, but it is also family-friendly and safe to be around children. No plant part is toxic or poisonous from the bark, foliage, flowers, berries, and seed pods. Some varieties of Crape Myrtle produce edible berries that are sold commercially. The berries of other Crape Myrtle cultivars are better suited as snacks for birds and animals. We suggest confirming whether the berries are intended for human consumption before eating anything, but it is good to know that the berries are not poisonous.

Are Crape Myrtle Poisonous to Dogs?

Crape Myrtle is not poisonous to dogs, so you can include this perennial shrub in your landscape if you have furry friends. Some varieties have berries and seed pods that may fall from the plant, but there is no reason to be concerned if your dog eats any part of the plant. Even if it is safe, eating too much of anything may cause an upset stomach, so we suggest always monitoring how your pets interact with plants. 

Are Crape Myrtle Poisonous to Cats?

The Crape Myrtle is a perfectly safe addition to your landscape, even if you have cats. This perennial shrub is not poisonous to cats, so even if your curious feline nibbles on any part of the plant, they will be safe. As an upright, woody shrub, Crape Myrtle is not the sort of plant that would usually entice a cat, but your pet will be safe if they eat the bark, foliage, flowers, berries, or seed pods.

Are Crape Myrtle Poisonous to Other Animals?

Crape Myrtle plants are not poisonous to any animals. As a matter of fact, the berries that grow on many varieties during the late fall and winter are often a food source for birds. All plant parts are safe and non-toxic if consumed by pets or livestock. The Crape Myrtle is also deer-resistant, so while it is safe, it is seldom eaten by deer or other nuisance animals.

Symptoms Of Crape Myrtle Poisoning

Crape Myrtle is not poisonous, and it is not known to cause any ill effects if consumed. Eating too much of anything may cause an upset stomach, so be aware of your children, pets, or other animals if they appear sick.

Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect plant poisoning. 

Preventing Crape Myrtle Poisoning

As a non-poisonous plant, protecting your family or pets from Crape Myrtle is unnecessary. However, you may want to take steps to safeguard this plant from curious snackers. Plant Crape Myrtle in areas pets may not have access to or areas that are not commonly frequented, so you can enjoy the good looks of this flowering shrub without worrying about it being eaten.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from plant poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

This page contains affiliate links to products on Amazon. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.