Are Dogwoods Poisonous?

Generally speaking, dogwoods are not poisonous. There is plenty of variety when it comes to different dogwoods: some do and some do not shed berries. The berries by themselves are not considered poisonous but are considered inedible, and they can cause some gastrointestinal distress if consumed in excess. For this reason, it’s best to keep pets and children from eating dogwood berries. 


Are Dogwoods Poisonous to Children?

Dogwoods are not poisonous to children. However, the berries that come from some dogwood varieties are considered inedible and should not be consumed. Berries consumed in excess can cause some stomach upset and irritation. 

Are Dogwoods Poisonous to Dogs?

Dogwood trees and shrubs are not poisonous or toxic to dogs. Shrubs that shed berries may cause gastrointestinal upset such as vomiting and diarrhea if consumed in excess. In general, keep in mind that dogs shouldn’t be eating excess amounts of foliage of any plant, as the fiber in plants is considered indigestible for a dog.


Are Dogwoods Poisonous to Cats?

While dogwoods are not considered toxic or poisonous to cats, they are considered inedible. Some dogwoods shed berries, which may be tempting to felines, but they can cause gastrointestinal distress. For this reason, it’s best to keep cats from eating dogwoods and the berries they may shed.

Preventing Dogwood Poisoning

If you are concerned about children or animals eating your dogwoods and becoming sick, you can always put a physical barrier around the plants. Also, sometimes animals will chew on plants in the garden because of nutrient deficiencies. So chewing on plants more than usual may be a sign of a health problem in your pet. There are also sprays you can purchase that will deter animals from chewing on the plants (may not help with children though).


Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from dogwood poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

Sources: "Nonpoisonous Berries." The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Chris Link Profile Pic

Author Chris Link - Published 06-28-2022