Are Hollyhocks Poisonous?

Hollyhock is a towering plant that boasts charming single or double flowers. This magnificent bloomer adds drama and height to a landscape while creating a natural divider and a degree of privacy. Gardeners love Hollyhocks for their good looks and easy care needs. Hollyhocks are non-poisonous to humans and animals, but it is still a good idea to use caution when handling this plant since it can cause itching and skin irritation. While this plant is not dangerous, it can cause irritation. It is always a good idea to exercise caution when curious children or pets are around plants, especially a plant as intriguing as Hollyhock.

Are Hollyhocks Poisonous to Children?

Hollyhocks are not poisonous to children but can cause dermatitis or skin irritation. Touching the flowers, foliage, or any part of the plant can cause a red, itchy rash to develop. Unfortunately, itching can make the rash worse. Eating any part of a Hollyhock plant can irritate the lips and mouth.  

Are Hollyhocks Poisonous to Dogs?

Hollyhocks are safe to feature in your yard if you have a dog or puppy, but this towering plant can cause skin irritation. Your dog will likely be fine if they brush up against the plant, but be careful if your pet comes into consistent contact with any part of a Hollyhock plant. Digging the plant up or rolling on the plant can be a problem and may result in an itchy rash. Monitor your dog if they come into significant contact with Hollyhocks, and wash your hands if you pet your dog or clean plant resin from their fur.


Are Hollyhocks Poisonous to Cats?

Hollyhocks are largely feline friendly, but it is still best to be careful if your cat or kitten will be around this plant. Alcea or Hollyhocks are not poisonous to cats, but this plant can cause skin irritation, especially if the plant is damaged and your pet is exposed to its resin. The tall stalk is not likely to be of much interest to cats, so they will likely leave it alone, but monitor your pets if you notice damage to the plant.


Are Hollyhocks Poisonous to Other Animals?

Hollyhocks are not poisonous to most animals. However, this plant produces a resin that can cause skin irritation. Eating any part of a Hollyhock plant may cause a rash or swelling of the face and mouth.

Symptoms Of Hollyhock Poisoning

Hollyhock plants are not poisonous, but the plant can cause skin irritation. This plant produces a resin that can cause dermatitis if touched. Contact with Hollyhocks can cause rashes in humans and animals. Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect Hollyhock poisoning. 

Here are some common symptoms to look out for:

  • Red, itchy skin
  • Swelling

Preventing Hollyhock Poisoning

Hollyhocks are not toxic, but an itchy rash is still a reason to admire this plant from a distance. If you like the look of Hollyhocks but are concerned curious children or pets will touch or damage the plant, consider planting it in an area that is not easily accessible or placing fencing around the plant.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from Hollyhock poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

Sources: "Hollyhock." American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

 Alison Cotsonas Profile Pic

 Author Alison Cotsonas - Published 08-11-2022