Are Lantana Poisonous?

Yes, all parts of the lantana plant are considered toxic, especially when ingested in high quantities. These plants should not be planted where children or pets can come in contact with them. They are a beautiful landscape plant and ground cover and you often see them covering hillsides or in hanging baskets where they are safely out of reach and out of contact.

The symptoms of lantana poisoning vary from person to person and animal to animal and also depend on the amount of plant material consumed so getting professional help is critical. The most common sign is gastrointestinal pain and nausea.  You can also experience shortness of breath and other complications if you breathe in smoke from burning plant material or handling plants.

Care should always be used when working around and cutting down large amounts of toxic and poisonous plants. Make sure to cover your mouth and nose and wear protective gloves and clothing. Call 911 or the poison control hotline in your area if Lantana poisoning is suspected.

lantana-flowers-with-butterfly-on-it.jpg

Are Lantana Poisonous to Children

Yes, Lantana is considered mildly toxic to children, toddlers, and babies. The symptoms of ingestion are generally mild, but some cases of vomiting and diarrhea have been reported. Children are often attracted to the bright colored flowers and small berries. These plants should be planted in an area away from where children play if you are worried about your child eating the plant. Hanging baskets work best to display lantana plants for this reason. If you suspect that your child has come in contact with lantana plants call a medical professional or poison control center immediately.

Are Lantana Poisonous to Dogs

Yes, Lantana is toxic and poisonous to puppies and dogs. They may experience vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, pain in the abdominal region and difficulty breathing. If you suspect that your animal has ingested or come in contact with lantana plants, call your veterinarian immediately.

Are Lantana Poisonous to Cats

Yes, Lantana is toxic and poisonous to kittens and cats. They may experience vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, pain in the abdominal region and difficulty breathing. If you suspect that your animal has ingested or come in contact with lantana plants, call your veterinarian immediately.

Are Lantana Poisonous to Other Animals

Yes, Lantana is toxic and poisonous to all animals. This includes horses, pigs, goats, chickens, and other homestead and domestic livestock. If you suspect that your animal has ingested or come in contact with lantana plants, call your veterinarian immediately.

lantana-plants-with-lizard-on-it.jpg

Symptoms of Lantana Poisoning

Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect Lantana plant poisoning. Here are some common symptoms to look out for:

  • Gastrointestinal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Bloody Diarrhea
  • Nausea
  • Difficulty breathing

Preventing Lantana Poisoning

The best way to prevent lantana poisoning is with planning and attention. If you have small children and animals and feel you cannot control where they play and roam then it is probably best to not plant lantana in areas where they will come in possible contact with the plant. You can safely plant lantana in elevated planters, hanging baskets, and behind fences on hillsides where you feel they will not come in contact with your children or animals

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from Lantana poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

Click here for a complete list of Pet Safe Plants.

Janice Cox Profile Pic

Author Janice Cox - Published 12-15-2021