Is Dead Nettle Poisonous?

Dead Nettle is a flowering plant commonly used as a ground cover, although it also makes a stunning addition to a container or hanging basket. This plant is grown for its reaching stems, variegated foliage, and tiny flowers that bloom in the spring and early summer. Dead Nettle is a safe plant to have around children and pets. While this plant does have a history of medicinal and culinary use, it is best only to eat plants you are knowledgeable about.


Is Dead Nettle Poisonous to Children?

Dead Nettle is not poisonous to children. Your little ones will be safe if they eat the stems, leaves, or flowers. Some parts of the plant are edible, but it is still best to monitor young children if they have a history of eating or chewing on plants.

Is Dead Nettle Poisonous to Dogs?

Dead Nettle is not poisonous to dogs. This plant is safe to have in a yard frequented by your canine companion. Eating any part of the Dead Nettle plant is safe for a puppy or adult dog, but eating too much of anything can cause an upset stomach, so monitor your pet if you notice the plant is damaged.

Is Dead Nettle Poisonous to Cats?

There is no need to worry if your kitten or cat eats any of a Dead Nettle plant. This flowering perennial is not toxic to cats and will not cause harm or bodily distress if ingested.

Is Dead Nettle Poisonous to Other Animals?

Dead Nettle plants are not known to be toxic to horses or other animals. It is a safe plant to have in areas humans and animals frequent. This flowering groundcover is mostly deer and rabbit resistant, so it is a good choice for areas where foraging animals can be problematic.

Symptoms Of Dead Nettle Poisoning

The Dead Nettle plant is not poisonous or toxic to humans or animals, although eating a lot of anything can cause an upset stomach, so monitor your animals if you suspect they ate the plant. Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect Dead Nettle poisoning. 

Preventing Dead Nettle Poisoning

Most animals will not eat Dead Nettle, and the plant is not toxic, so your pets will be safe if they do ingest any part of the plant. If you choose to protect the plant from hungry animals, fencing or scent-based deterrents are often effective.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from Dead Nettle poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.


"Deadnettles." Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Salehi, B. et al. "Lamium Plants—A Comprehensive Review on Health Benefits and Biological Activities." Molecules. 2019 May; 24(10): 1913.

 Alison Cotsonas Profile Pic

Author Alison Cotsonas - Published 05-16-2023