Snake Plants, scientifically known as Dracaena trifasciata and formerly Sansevieria trifasciata, contain saponin toxins that make the plant harmful if ingested by humans or animals. All parts of the plant contain saponins including the leaves, flower stems, flowers, and berries. If any part of the plant has been ingested by a child or adult, contact your doctor. If any part of the plant has been ingested by a pet or animal, contact your veterinarian. Ingesting large quantities of the plant can be fatal.
Is Snake Plant Poisonous to Children?
Snake Plants are harmful to kids, children, toddlers, and babies if ingested. The sap inside the leaves can cause a rash if touched. Ingesting the plant in large amounts will cause gastrointestinal discomfort such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Snake Plants are more harmful for animals but can still cause harm to children and babies if ingested or if contact is made with the plant’s sap. The flower stems, flowers, and berries all contain the same saponin toxin that should not be consumed or touched by children and babies.
Is Snake Plant Poisonous to Dogs?
Snake Plant is poisonous for dogs and puppies. The plant is toxic if ingested due to its saponin content. Snake Plant will cause gastrointestinal harm to dogs if ingested. Symptoms can include: nausea, diarrhea, drooling, swollen tongue, loss of appetite, vomiting, and vomiting with blood. Dogs need to ingest a fair amount of the plant for the effects to be harmful. Snake Plants have a bitter taste, and their leaves can have sharp tips and serrated edges that make the plant unappealing to most dogs.
Is Snake Plant Poisonous to Cats?
Snake Plant is poisonous for cats and kittens. The plant is toxic if ingested due to the saponin toxin. Snake Plant will cause gastrointestinal harm to cats if ingested, and symptoms can include nausea, diarrhea, drooling, swollen tongue, loss of appetite, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Ingesting a small amount of the plant can cause mild symptoms to cats but a large amount can be fatal. Snake Plants have a bitter taste and their leaves can have sharp tips and serrated edges, so cats tend to avoid them.
Is Snake Plant Poisonous to Other Animals?
Snake Plants are not poisonous for birds but they are toxic for other mammals such as hamsters, rabbits, ferrets, etc. Animals typically avoid the plant due to its bitter flavor and sharp tips and serrated edges. If ingested, the plant can cause gastrointestinal discomfort.
Symptoms Of Snake Plant Poisoning
Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect Snake Plant poisoning.
Here are some common symptoms to look out for:
- Swollen tongue or mouth
- Loss of Appetite
- Abdominal Pain
Preventing Snake Plant Poisoning
The best defense against Snake Plant poisoning is to prevent it from occurring. When bringing a Snake Plant into your home, it is important to mindfully choose a location that will be out of the way from children and pets. This might include elevating the plant on a plant stand or shelf or even adding a physical barrier such as other plants or furniture. It is also important to closely monitor children and pets whenever they are near the plant to make sure they do not come too close to the plant.
Pet Poison Helpline
If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from Snake Plant poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.
This page contains affiliate links to products on Amazon. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Author Katie Endicott - Published 5-23-2023