Loropetalum (common name Chinese fringe flower) is not listed by the FDA or the ASPCA as a poisonous plant. This plant is in the Hamamelidaceae or witch hazel family of plants. Witch hazel leaves, flowers, and stems may cause constipation, vomiting, or nausea if eaten. Loropetalum contains tannins that create a bitter taste. Most children, dogs, cats, horses, and other animals will avoid eating it.
Are Loropetalum Poisonous to Children
Loropetalum is not toxic to toddlers and children unless ingested in large quantities. Children are unlikely to eat more than a single bite of this plant due to its bitter taste.
Are Loropetalum Poisonous to Dogs
Loropetalum is considered non toxic to puppies and adult dogs. Ingesting it may give them a mild upset stomach.
Are Loropetalum Poisonous to Cats
Chinese fringe flowers are not poisonous to kittens and cats. It is a safe choice for pet owners to add to their landscape.
Are Loropetalum Poisonous to Other Animals
Loropetalum is nontoxic to animals such as horses, pigs, goats, and chickens. Its bitter taste makes it unsavory for consumption by animals, even deer.
Symptoms of Loropetalum Poisoning
Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect Loropetalum poisoning. Loropetalum is not poisonous, but ingesting it may cause illness with the following symptoms.
- Upset stomach
To prevent anything bad from happening in the first place, you can use physical barriers such as decorative fencing to prevent children or animals from getting too close for a taste. Dogs and cats can sometimes suffer from a nutrient deficiency if they continually gnaw on certain things so it might be time for a thorough check up from your vet to check on your pets health. There are also animal deterrent products on the market that can help prevent animals from chewing on plants.
Pet Poison Helpline
If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from (insert plant) poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.
This page contains affiliate links to products on Amazon. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.