Are Euonymus Poisonous?

The foliage of Euonymus will steal the show, but this plant also bears ornamental berries that provide texture and color. While the berries give the shrub visual interest from July through October, they are potentially dangerous. Many plants in the same genus as Euonymus are toxic, so it is advised that people, pets, and livestock should not eat the berries or any part of the Euonymus plant. The berries of Euonymus can be toxic if consumed in large quantities.


Are Euonymus Poisonous to Children?

The Euonymus plant is toxic to children if consumed. The colorful berries can cause various symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, chills, coma, and convulsions. While it is thought the berries are only toxic if consumed in large quantities, that has not been adequately tested, and it’s best to teach children, especially little ones, not to eat any part of the Euonymus plant. It is safe to handle the plant while pruning or transplanting, but curious children should not be left alone with the plant to err on the side of caution. Always consult a doctor or poison control if you suspect your child has eaten a potentially poisonous plant.


Are Euonymus Poisonous to Dogs?

Euonymus, also known as Burning Bush, is poisonous to dogs. The plant contains alkaloids that can cause an upset stomach if a dog eats any part of the plant. The plant is only considered toxic in large quantities, but it is best practice to keep pets, especially small puppies, away from Euonymus. If you suspect your dog has eaten a Burning Bush plant, monitor the animal for abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. Eating Euonymus can also induce cardiac glycosides and heart problems for pets.


Are Euonymus Poisonous to Cats?

All parts of the Euonymus plant are toxic to cats. This perennial shrub is not likely to entice cats, but it is still potentially dangerous for felines. The berries are generally only considered a problem if consumed in large quantities, but be aware if you have a Wintercreeper or Burning Bush in your yard or neighborhood. Cats that eat parts of Euonymus plants may experience gastrointestinal distress, vomiting, diarrhea, and possibly heart issues.

Are Euonymus Poisonous to Other Animals?

Euonymus is a popular landscape perennial that is toxic to most animals if consumed. Eating any part of this plant can cause an upset stomach, gastrointestinal discomfort, and possibly even heart problems. Burning Bush and other varieties of Euonymus can be dangerous to pets and livestock.

Symptoms Of Euonymus Poisoning

Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect Euonymus poisoning. 

Here are some common symptoms to look out for:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Nausea
  • Weakness
  • Chills
  • Coma
  • Convulsions

Preventing Euonymus Poisoning

Protect children and animals from Euonymus poisoning by growing the plant in a part of the yard that is not accessible or placing a barrier around the plant. It is not advised to grow this plant if you have inquisitive children or pets, and there are other leafy shrub varieties available that are entirely safe.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from Euonymus poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

Sources: "Euonymus." The North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox.

 Alison Cotsonas Profile Pic

 Author Alison Cotsonas - Published 07-14-2022