Are Hellebore Poisonous?

Hellebore is poisonous to both people and animals and should not be eaten. Some people have a mild skin irritation reaction after touching the leaves, sepals, or flower stems of a hellebore plant. This plant contains three toxic ingredients. They are glycosides, which can cause the heart to slow down, saponin which acts on the nervous system to cause drowsiness, and helleborine in its roots that may cause vomiting or diarrhea when ingested.

Are Hellebore Poisonous to Children

Hellebore is poisonous to all humans and should not be consumed by anyone, including children and toddlers. If your kid is prone to consume nearby items, keep them away from hellebore in your gardens.

Are Hellebore Poisonous to Dogs

Dogs and puppies should not consume hellebore because it is moderately toxic if ingested in large quantities. Symptoms of poisoning include diarrhea, difficulty breathing, excessive drooling and thirst, lethargy, vomiting, and weakness.

Are Hellebore Poisonous to Cats

Hellebore is poisonous to kittens and cats. This plant has a bitter taste making it unlikely that your pet will eat a large quantity. Symptoms of hellebore poisoning include drooling, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

Are Hellebore Poisonous to Other Animals

Hellebore is toxic to farm animals including horses, pigs, cows, and goats. The poisonous ingredients in hellebore can lead to cardiac distress and renal failure. or even death if ingested in a large quantity.

Symptoms of Hellebore Poisoning

Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect hellebore poisoning. Here are some common symptoms to look out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Slow heart rate
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness

To prevent anything bad from happening in the first place, you can use physical barriers such as decorative fencing to prevent children or animals from getting too close for a taste. Dogs and cats can sometimes suffer from a nutrient deficiency if they continually gnaw on certain things so it might be time for a thorough check up from your vet to check on your pets health. There are also animal deterrent products on the market that can help prevent animals from chewing on plants.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from (insert plant) poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

This page contains affiliate links to products on Amazon. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.