Are Peruvian Lilies Poisonous?

The flowers of the Peruvian Lily are showstoppers that last for most of the growing season, making these a well-loved plant. Unfortunately, Peruvian Lilies are mildly toxic to humans and can cause discomfort for pets, so be mindful when including these plants in your landscape. Contact with the plant may cause skin irritation, and consuming the plant is rarely fatal but can cause gastrointestinal distress. Always consult a doctor if you suspect your child or pet is experiencing a problem from interacting with Peruvian Lilies. Also known as Alstroemeria, Peruvian Lilies are not true lilies, so they have different toxicity than actual lilies.


Are Peruvian Lilies Poisonous to Children?

Touching any part of a Peruvian Lily, including the foliage and flowers, may cause a rash or skin irritation for children. Symptoms from touching the plant can include swelling and redness. Some people may experience difficulty breathing, similar to an asthma attack. Eating any part of a Peruvian Lily plant can cause vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea. 


Are Peruvian Lilies Poisonous to Dogs?

Peruvian Lilies are not toxic to dogs but can cause discomfort and upset stomach symptoms. Coming into contact with any part of the plant will not cause a problem, but eating the Peruvian Lily plant can be an issue. Dogs that consume large quantities of Peruvian Lily or Alstroemeria may experience vomiting or diarrhea. 

Are Peruvian Lilies Poisonous to Cats?

The upright growth habit of the Peruvian Lily is not likely to entice cats or kittens, and felines will typically leave the plant alone. Peruvian Lilies are non-toxic to cats, but eating any part of the plant, especially in large quantities, may cause an upset stomach, vomiting, or diarrhea. 

Are Peruvian Lilies Poisonous to Other Animals?

Peruvian Lilies are non-toxic to most animals; however, most foraging animals tend to leave this blooming plant alone. Eating any part of the plant in large quantities may cause an upset stomach, but it is generally not fatal. 


Symptoms Of Peruvian Lily Poisoning

Peruvian Lilies pose a slight problem to curious young children since they can cause skin irritation and an upset stomach. The symptoms are uncomfortable but typically not fatal. Peruvian Lilies are non-toxic to pets, including cats and dogs. Always check with your doctor or veterinarian for guidance if you suspect Peruvian Lily poisoning. 

Here are some common symptoms to look out for:

  • Skin irritation, including redness and swelling
  • Respiratory distress
  • Upset stomach
  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea

Preventing Peruvian Lily Poisoning

Feature Peruvian Lilies in areas that are not easily accessible to young children, like a part of the yard away from play areas, and do not leave youngsters unsupervised. While Peruvian Lilies are only harmful to pets in large quantities, consider planting in areas pets cannot access. For instance, feature the plant in a container on a front porch if pets only have access to the backyard.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from Peruvian Lily poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

This page contains affiliate links to products on Amazon. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

 Alison Cotsonas Profile Pic

Author Alison Cotsonas - Published 01-27-2023