Are Phlox Poisonous?

Phlox is a non-toxic plant and a safe garden plant for people with children and pets. It is not toxic to farm animals or wildlife either. If your child or pet ingests phlox, they are not likely to have any ill effects.

Are Phlox Poisonous to Children?

Phlox is not poisonous to children or toddlers. They will probably not feel ill if they eat a small number of leaves or flowers.


Are Phlox Poisonous to Dogs?

Phlox is not toxic to puppies or dogs. Your pet will be fine if they swallow a small amount of phlox.

Are Phlox Poisonous to Cats?

Phlox leaves, stems, and flowers are not poisonous to cats or kittens. They are safe for your pets to eat in small quantities.

Are Phlox Poisonous to Other Animals?

Phlox is not poisonous if consumed by farm animals, including horses, pigs, goats, chickens, etc.

Symptoms of Phlox Poisoning?

Phlox is not poisonous to humans, pets, or farm animals. Eating a large quantity of phlox or any other non-toxic plant may cause an upset stomach.

To prevent anything bad from happening in the first place, you can use physical barriers such as decorative fencing to prevent children or animals from getting too close for a taste. Dogs and cats can sometimes suffer from a nutrient deficiency if they continually gnaw on certain things so it might be time for a thorough check up from your vet to check on your pets health. There are also animal deterrent products on the market that can help prevent animals from chewing on plants.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from (insert plant) poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.

Click here for a complete list of Pet Safe Plants.


"Non-Toxic Plant List." Oregon Health & Science University.

"A Garden for the Dogs." Dyck Arboretum Of The Plains.

 Maureen Farmer Profile Pic

 Author Maureen Farmer - Published 02-22-2022