null
Earn $10 in Plant Cash for Every $75 Spent
on Planters & Decor - Learn More
Use Code: ShopSmallBiz
Plus Free Shipping On All Orders Over $75 Shipping Truck Icon

Are Hollies Poisonous

All hollies are poisonous to humans and pets as well as some farm animals. They are not poisonous to the deer. Now there are some hollies that just aren’t on the preferred menu but blue hollies are considered delectable.

holly-berries-and-foliage.jpg

Are Hollies Poisonous To Children?

Many people gather holly branches for indoor decorations during the holidays. Children may try to eat the berries thinking they resemble candy. It is important to impress upon children that they cannot eat the berries. Unfortunately the red berries can wither, dry and fall off the arrangement and maybe onto the floor. 

Are Hollies Poisonous to Cats & Dogs?

Your pet may ingest them and they can cause serious problems. You should take your pet to the vet immediately for treatment.

The best solution is to harvest branches without berries and use cranberries in the arrangement for color so you don’t have to worry about the berries being eaten.

Symptoms of Holly Poisoning

The berries are what are poisonous. The branches and foliage aren’t troublesome though. The symptoms of eating holly berries can be vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and drowsiness.

Pet Poison Helpline

If something were to happen to your furry friend, and you suspect that they are suffering from (insert plant) poisoning, there is a poison control hotline to call for 24/7 vet advice. It is called the Pet Poison Hotline, and their phone number is (855) 764-7661.